Getting a good night’s sleep is one of the best ways to stay healthy and feel your best. Experts recommend that adults get at least seven hours of sleep a night. However, a considerable amount of people are not able to do so. The very same people also struggle with the symptoms of insomnia. Symptoms include difficulty falling and staying asleep, waking up too early, and feeling tired upon waking because of poor sleep quality.
Taking Marijuana to Help You Sleep
Treating insomnia can be hard, and usually involves lots of trial and error. For most people, marijuana has proven to be a big help. Truly, medical cannabis has been self-described for this purpose. However, there are literally hundreds of strains out there, and finding the one that works best for you entails trial and error, along with some research. For instance, should you go with an indica or sativa strain? Which is better for sleep? Which strain has the least side effects?
For many people, indica can induce sleep. This is because of its particular ratio of CBD to THC. According to research, both of these cannabinoids can improve sleep by helping restore the natural circadian rhythm of the body. Additionally, CBD and THC are known to relieve common insomnia causes, like chronic pain and anxiety. Research has shown that THC reduces REM sleep and increases the amount of time spent during Stage 4 sleep; this is the deepest and most restorative phase of sleep.
Generally, strains with high THC content will function better as sleep aids. Take note, however, that everyone tolerates THC differently, and it can cause side effects in some users. If you are one of these people, the solution can be a strain with more CBD content to balance out the THC. Here are some of the best indica and indica-dominant hybrid strains to help you sleep.
- Granddaddy Purple. Otherwise known as GDP, Granddaddy Purple is a well-known indica strain with high THC content with a negligible amount of CBD. It contains hints of grape and berry. Users report feeling mentally and physically relaxed.
- God’s Gift. This strain imparts a grape-dominant aroma with notes of fresh citrus. It has a THC content of about 17 percent and offers a calming and soothing high.
- Northern Lights. A cross of Afghani and Thai strains, Northern Lights is popular for its potent and comforting effects. Users report that it helps alleviate a range of symptoms like insomnia.
- Tahoe OG Kush. With a THC content of about 18 percent, this strain delivers a sensation of sleepiness and deep tranquility. It has long been a favorite of people with trouble falling asleep. Tahoe OG offers hints of lemon with a robust earthiness.
- Wedding Cake. An indica-dominant hybrid, this strain gives a powerful high thanks to its high THC levels of up to 20 percent. Its terpene profile is dominated by limonene, giving it a citrusy aroma and flavor. This strain is good for insomnia, anxiety and chronic pain.
- Blue Cookies. This is another very potent indicadomiant hybrid with a THC content of about 20 percent. It is some of the best strains for inducing sleep, giving initial feelings of euphoria that will give way to overall serenity.
- Purple Punch. Containing around 20 percent THC with low CBD levels, this strain gives an all-encompassing sense of calm and ease. Its flavor profile is fruity and sweet with rich notes of berry and grape.
Indica strains can help you get those crucial eight hours of sleep. But what happens in the morning after? Can you expect a hangover? There is no definitive answer to this question, but it is worth repeating that cannabis has a different effect on everyone. A strain that works well for one person might not help another. At the same time, a user may experience an unpleasant hangover from one strain, while the other one wakes up feeling good.